Instituted on. 27 November 1935
Rarity – Scarce
Pilots Badge - Obverse.
Dr. Heinrich Doehle gave the institution of the badge as 26th March 1936 and this has been widely considered as the official date of introduction. This poses the intriguing question, 'What was the design of the Pilots Badge from 12th August 1935 to 26th March 1936?' There are two versions of the cloth badge, which correspond to the officers and NCOs, taking the form of the metal badge but embroidered in relief. The wreath is worked in silver, the eagle in oxidised silver, and the swastika in dull aluminium thread. The NCOs version is identical but expedited in cotton thread. The badge was worn on the left upper pocket of the service uniform or flying jacket. It was issued in a blue box with the badge designation stencilled in gold block letters on its lid.